Fun Lego Facts
- The plural of LEGO is LEGO. It doesn’t matter if you have one or one hundred pieces of LEGO, it’s still LEGO – although many people call them LEGOs.
- LEGO comes from the Danish word leg godt. Leg godt means “play well” in Danish and LEGO is made from the first two letters of each word.
- LEGO is 83 years old. The LEGO Group began in 1932 in Billund, Denmark and was founded by Ole Kirk Christiansen.
- The company is 83 years old, but the interlocking LEGO blocks were manufactured from 1949. This makes the LEGO blocks we all know and love 66 years old.
- Ole Kirk Christiansen was a carpenter. He lost his business and began to make toys out of his leftover wood. He was inspired to construct a small wooden duck toy for his children and when they loved it he put them into production to sell.